Ten Medication Principles to Remember
- Medications may not always work as intended.
- Medications may produce an effect that is different from the effect that was desired.
- Medications may produce no effect.
- Medications may produce an opposite effect than the desired effect.
- Medications may make a problem worse. These are called adverse effects (life threatening) or side effects (undesirable).
- Some medications can have good or bad reactions with other medications already being taken.
- Many medications taken for mood and behavior may take time to work (such as Lithium and antidepressants).
- Be patient when new medications are started. They may take 3-4 weeks to work and side effects may begin at once.
- Give medications on time and as prescribed.
- If someone has kidney or liver problems, medications may make these conditions worse. For any person taking medications, monitor and report the following:
- changes in the color of the stool
- changes in the color of the white part of the eye
- changes in the color of tissue under the tongue
- stomach pain or increase in size of the stomach
- weight gain or swelling (edema)
- cloudy urine with increased odor
- blood in the urine or stool
- increased, frequent, or decreased urine output.
Our library articles cover much more than the basics about common health conditions. Here you'll find information you can really use, including treatment options, alternative care, self care tips, resources, and links to products.
- Allergy & Sinus Relief
- Anti-anxiety medications
- Anti-Fungal and Anti-Infective Medications
- Arthritis Pain Relief
- Asthma medications
- Chemotherapy Drugs
- Circulation medications
- Cough and Cold Symptoms
- Epilepsy and Seizures
- Female Hormone Replacement
- Insulin and Insulin Regulators
- Thyroid Replacement Medications
Visit our partner Drug Store. This online drug store selling discount brand name and generic drugs. All prescription drugs not require a prescription before your order can be processed. Buy medication from this pharmacy and save money on your prescription drugs
Nmihi.com - health and disease information on concerns such as diabetes, depression, cancer, AIDS, skin health, lupus, herpes, multiple sclerosis, STDs, arthritis, stress, asthma, etc in language that non-physicians understand.